7.10.2009

4th of July On The Lake


With our car loaded and the gas tank full, Nate and I headed out of Chicago for our road trip to L.A. Our first stop was in central Illinois to visit my family then on to the Ozark Mountains for the 4th of July. Nate's family has a lake house on the Niangua River in the Lake of the Ozarks and it is one of my favorite places to visit. It is relaxing, the scenes are breathtaking, and it is fun to spend time with family.

Going to the lake for the 4th of July means fireworks and summer grilling. My father-in-law is known for his excellent pork ribs, with the meat literally falling off the bone. First, he boils them and then, when the meat is very tender, he throws it on the grill and bastes the ribs while they are receiving a slight char from the fire. These were served with pretty grilled vegetable skewers made by my sister-in-law.


The next day, my father-in-law began cutting up a watermelon into small pieces. I requested for mine to be left in a big slice and I took it out on the porch to watch the boats go by. Watermelon is my favorite summer dessert. It is simple and refreshing and biting into a big slice reminds me of childhood summers with juice dribbling down my chin.


The weekend was fun and with our bellies full, we left for our next destination: Dallas, Texas to visit our friends and try Texas-style BBQ!








No comments:

Post a Comment